|1. Coop Home Goods||2. Sleep Innovation||3. Wonder Sleep|
Our sleeping position unveils a lot about our personality. Some people love to side sleep, some relax in a fetal position, while others lie on the bed like a log.
No matter how you sleep, using a pillow plays a pivotal role in allowing you to get a comfortable sleep. Pillows not only provide us comfort, but they also offer extra support to our neck, spine, and shoulder.
As the sleeping position of every person is not the same, why should there be the same pillow for everyone? If you are looking for the best pillow for a side sleeper, we are here to equip you with proper knowledge. Use this list of the best pillow for side sleepers to get a good night’s sleep!
This guide will also provide you with factors to get the best pillow for side sleepers. These pillow picks are based on verified customer reviews, proper research, and analysis. Thus, this guide will come in handy to get the most comfortable pillows.
Top 25 Best Pillows For Side Sleepers 2020
1. Coop Home Goods
Many hail this brand as the perfect adjustable pillow for side sleepers. The adjustable feature of this pillow allows you to add or remove the microfiber to suit your size, sleeping position, and shape. The luxury fabric provides enough breathability and softness to give you a comfortable sleep.
The pillow goes through a third-party lab testing process to safeguard you and your loved ones from any kind of toxic chemicals. The pillow also comes up with a 100 days best sleep guarantee.
In addition to this, if you are someone who is natural conscious and hates any kind of cruelty towards animals, you would be more than happy to know that no animals were harmed during the manufacturer of this pillow.
The shredded memory foam may sometimes feel uneasy for some users. Thus it is advisable to adjust the level of memory foam as per your needs. You may notice the pillow may get harden a bit after a few years of regular use, but adjustable memory foam will come in handy.
- Very comfortable and breathable case
- Provides a balance of softness and firmness
- Fully adjustable
- 5-year warranty
- Bonus fills are included in the product
- The chemical smell may be too intense for some people
- The memory foam may become too firm after a few months of usage.
2. Sleep Innovation
This pillow is hailed as the best pillow for neck pain side sleepers. The pillow has a therapeutic design that can provide the users with enhanced support as well as proper alignment to your needs. The natural foam within the pillow can change its temperature as per the room temperature.
The two contours of the pillow will let you choose between the higher contour, or the lower contour depending upon your requirement. This contoured pillow will help you ease all kinds of pain and stiffness in your neck and shoulder region.
You will be glad to customers have showered a 5-star rating on Amazon to this brand. Most users feel that sleeping on this pillow is like sleeping on the cloud. You can get the pillow in different sizes like travel, standard, and queen size depending upon your requirement.
- Therapeutic support to people suffering from neck pain
- Soft and washable cover
- Contour design to reduce pain and stiffness in the neck
- 5-year warranty on the product
- The higher contour may seem too thick for some users.
3. Wonder Sleep
The pillow is designed to give you a better sleeping posture and also helps you in the improvement of neck and shoulder pain. The shredded foam inside the pillow easily adjusts as per your frame. This pillow also has a dual layer of cover.
The internal layer is designed to keep the shredded foam inside, and the external layer gives you a refreshing and soothing experience while sleeping.
This adjustable pillow gives you adjusted comfort by allowing you to increase or decrease the level of memory foam inside the pillow. Another best part about this sleep pillow is the cover. You can wash in machine both the pillow and its cover.
- Provides adjustable memory foam feature
- Best quality breathable material
- 1-year warranty
- Machine washable
- Made up of fresh bamboo material
- Weird chemical odor
4. MedCline Reflux Relief
The MedCline Reflux Relief Pillow has come into the market after several independent clinical trials. The pillow provides one of the best treatments for acid reflux and all kinds of gastroesophageal reflux issues.
Thus, this pillow is the best one for side and stomach sleepers. While the pillow provides relief from acid reflux, it is not recommended for patients with hip injuries, bulging discs, and arthritis hips.
The unique design of this pillow features an arm pocket so that you do not get much pressure on your arm and shoulder. The pillow also prevents you from sliding while you sleep.
95% of the MedCline Reflux Relief Pillow users claimed that they were able to experience enhanced sleep quality, and they faced less heartburn after using the pillow. Users also found a reduction in regurgitation and gagging in sleep with the regular usage of this pillow.
- Reflux support during pregnancy
- 100% relief from nighttime acid reflux
- Helps patients facing sleep apnea
- 100-night guarantee
- Doctor designed pillow
- Pillow takes the maximum area of your bed
This best side sleeping pillow filled with microfiber filling is an ideal option for people of all ages, including newborns and toddlers. The pillow is designed to help you avoid all kinds of neck and shoulder pain while you sleep.
LauraBenasse has left no stone unturned to make this pillow resistant to all kinds of allergens like dust mites, and mold. So, if you are prone to get allergies, try using this pillow with resistant fillings.
The high-value pillow is offered at a very affordable price. The maintenance of the pillow is quite simple as you can machine wash the pillow, and the micro fillings will be intact even after many washes.
- Very easy to clean and maintain
- High value for money
- Filled with hypoallergenic fillings
- Comfortable for people of all ages.
- Filled with premium quality microfibres
- The pillow may get flat after a few months of usage, and you need to plump them up.
6. Sleep Artisan
With a unique curve, Sleep Artisan curates the best type of pillow for side sleepers. This luxury pillow will provide enough support to your neck and shoulder. The built-in loft of the pillow can be easily lowered or raised to maximize comfort.
The fillings are naturally hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant, and antimicrobial. The latex fill of the pillow provides extra breathability and gives you a relaxed and fresh feel while you sleep.
Although the pillow does not come up with washable features, the antimicrobial and hypoallergenic features will keep you and your loved ones safe.
If you are conscious about maintaining a high level of hygiene, then you can clean this pillow with cold water, thanks to its zipped cover.
- Hypoallergenic features
- 30-days satisfaction guarantee
- Made up of sustainable materials like cotton and hemp
- Adjustable loft
- Removal and adjustable fillings
- Pillowcase is not comfortable
Many buyers have hailed this brand as the best extra firm pillow available in the market. This 100% extra firm pillow has two gussets that will provide you with extra firmness throughout the night. The pillow features 300 thread count, and it is designed ideally for people who are side sleepers.
The pillow is filled with polyfill fiber and provides extra firmness while you sleep. Thus, if you are not used to sleeping on the firm and thick pillows, this may not be the best pillow for you. The pillow stays as firm for years as it is even after regular use.
Unlike other polyfill fiber, the pillow offers excellent airflow. Therefore, the pillow does not heat up while you are sleeping at night.
- Best for people with neck pain
- Extra firmness for the great support
- Good airflow
- Machine washable
- Premium quality fillers
- Petite people may have problems sleeping on the pillow.
This best side sleeping pillow gives you pleasing plumpness while you sleep. The pillow is filled with plush microfiber, which will make you feel like you are sleeping on a cloud. The best part about the pillow is that it offers a perfect balance between firmness and plumpness.
Not to mention that the stuffing inside the pillow is well certified, and the fillings are breathable and hypoallergenic. For all those people who often face allergies, this is a must product to buy.
The pillows flaunts three different sizes. Once you open up the shipped package, leave the pillow for 24-hours to ensure that it gets its entire thickness before you use it. The soft and bouncy features make the pillow best for side sleepers.
- Premium microfiber gives a pleasing plumpness
- Enough firmness for neck support
- An excellent choice for allergy-prone people
- Easy cleaning and maintenance mechanism
- Strict inspection before shipping pillow to provide maximum safety
- Large size pillow may not fit your standard pillowcase
- After a few months of use, the pillow may flatten up
This side sleeper pillow by Comfez offers extra comfort as it is filled with ultra-soft fillings. The pillow also provides orthopedic support for people suffering from neck or back pain. The pillow has a contour shape that will help you keep your neck and head in proper alignment.
Many have hailed this brand as the best pillow for a side sleeper with neck pain. The stuffing inside the pillow is lab-tested so that it can be used by people of all ages and sleeping issues.
The best part about the pillow is that you can easily adjust the amount of filling inside the pillow. The zipped cover provides an added adjustment.
The pillow foam is wrapped in a bamboo cover that allows breathability and prevents sweating and increased heat production while you sleep. The foam cover can be easily removed and washed to protect you from germs and dust.
- Provides orthopedic support from neck pain
- Easily adjustable and removable fillings
- Bamboo cover for extra breathability
- Hypogenic for allergy sufferers
- The best quality construction of the pillow
- Not worth the cost paid
eLuxurySupply offers a customized pillow for side sleepers. Buyers are provided with a customization feature that allows the pillow to get customized as per their needs. You must know that this pillow by eLuxurySupply is soft, gentle, and offers maximum comfort to the side sleepers.
These pillows are designed in such a way that they can be used by adults and children alike. You do not have to worry about any kinds of allergies, as the hypoallergenic pillows are filled with 100% polyester fiber. The outer layer of the pillow is covered by a pillowcase that consists of 100% breathable material.
The pillow comes in a standard size, and it can even be customized as per your needs. The pillow manufacturers believe in 100% customer satisfaction, which is why they do not hesitate to offer a complete money-back guarantee if you do not like the product.
- A customizable pillow as per the need
- Provides comfortable sleep with gentle stuffing
- 100% customer satisfaction
- Money-back guarantee
- Offers value for money spent
- Bit expensive as compared to pillows with the same features
This pillow is well-equipped with an ear pocket for maximum comfort for side sleepers, which is the best type for such a sleeper. The pillow provides relief from ear-pressing overnight. The u-shaped design of the pillow will align your head, neck, spine, and shoulder correctly.
The breathable cover of this pillow consists of 100% cotton material. The hypoallergenic and silk floss will give you an undisturbed sleep throughout the night.
The pillow comes in different sizes, including the travel size, so that you can easily carry your pillow wherever you go. Rest assured, this pillow will give you a relaxing sleep even while you are traveling.
- 1-year warranty
- Provides proper alignment of body parts
- Comes in travel sizes too
- Breathable cover for peaceful sleep
- Unique ear hole design
- The pillow is not super firm
- Not good value for money spent
12. Blue Chip Medical
If you are looking for a specially designed pillow, then this brand is hailed as the best pillow for side sleepers. This medical pillow provides comfort even while sleeping with a CPAP or BI-PAP machine.
The pillow is uniquely engineered for patients who are hospitalized and need to rest for a long duration.
The ultra-soft pillowcase gives maximum comfort to the users. Thanks to its CPAP pillowcase that prevents all kinds of hose restriction and offers a comforting sleep to people. The pillows consist of odor-free, hypoallergenic, and medical-grade fiber.
The manufacturers have designed this product after following the complete medical standard so that the patients can have the most comfortable sleep and stay on the hospital bed.
Rest assured, this pillow will prevent all kinds of soreness and marks due to the CPAP and Bi-PAP masks.
- Medically approved pillow
- Gives comfortable sleep to people with CPAP and Bi-PAP masks
- Pillow cover is made up of soft material
- Made up of medical-grade fiber
- A bit pricey
13. Organic Textiles Latex
This pillow consists of 100% natural Talalay latex. The use of the Talalay process makes the pillow extraordinarily soft and supportive. This organic Textile pillow is the best pillow for side and stomach sleepers.
The pillow flaunts 100% natural latex, so you do not have to worry about any plastic or memory foam contained in the pillow. The pillow remains fluffy and firm for a longer duration as compared to other pillows of the same price range.
The zipped cover of the pillow is hugely useful for easy washing and reusing. The pillow is made up of 100% organic cotton, providing you a comfortable sleep.
- 100% natural latex
- Pressure point relief system
- Maximum neck and head support
- Pillows are made up of 100% natural components
- Easy maintenance
- For many people, the pillow may seem too thick and high
14. Tinbolunce Roll Pillow
This cylindrical memory foam pillow is one of the best pillows for side sleepers. It promises you relief from neck pain, and it will provide you with better sleep. If you are suffering from any kind of cervical issue, this is the best option to buy.
The revolutionary design of this side pillow will cradle your head while you are sleeping. The cylindrical designs will ensure support to your cervical nerves.
The pillow not only comes in a variety of colors, but it improves your sleeping posture and enhances the aesthetic of your bedroom. The cover has a velvety material that can be easily removed and washed. You can use it in your bed, couch, car, as well as the chair.
- Very comfortable
- Made up of soft material
- Easy maintenance
- Helpful for people with cervical problem
- The cylindrical design keeps the neck in proper posture.
- The pillow is not as soft as it seems
15. Queen Anne
Queen Anne pillow is one of the luxurious pillows you will ever come across. The company puts up great detail and quality in every piece of the pillow, which is why this one is hailed as the best pillow for side sleeping.
The pillow consists of individually spun polyester fibers. The poly clusters avoid any kind of friction and remain free from any lumps even after years of use. Sleeping on this pillow will seem like wrapping your head in soft luxury. You can choose the filling of the pillow as per your requirement.
The pillow uses only the best quality goose and duck feathers to fill the inside material. You will be glad to know that these pillows are sanitized thrice before shipping to give you complete protection against dust mites and all kinds of allergens.
- Luxurious design with maximum comfort
- Made up of single spun fiber to avoid lumping of pillow
- Made up of best quality duck and goose feather
- Ethically sourced down
- Comfortable cotton cover to give you best sleep
- Slightly costly as compared to similar pillows in the market.
- As per Amazon reviews, many users felt that the feathers poked through the pillow cover.
16. One Fresh
This best pillow for side sleepers is made with a completely different design. It features two different types of fills on both sides. The first side has 100% polyester fiber, while the other side has shredded memory foam made up of polyester.
The shredded memory foam side will be best for people who are side sleepers. The memory foam will support the neck and head efficiently so that one does not have an aching neck in the morning.
The pillow has a higher thread count that can withstand any kind of tugging, rubbing, and your daily pillow fights with your partner. The pillow also comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Thus, you do not have to worry about the invested money.
- Sustainable products are used in the making of pillows
- Made from best-quality cotton
- High thread count
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- The pillow might feel less firm for some users.
This orthopedic pillow is the best type of pillow for side sleepers, which is designed to keep your cervical spine in proper alignment. If you are suffering from cervical issues, then look no further and buy this one.
The memory foam inside the pillow increases the pressure on the neck, head, and shoulder, thus reducing pain in these regions. Make sure you do not wash it or keep in the sunlight because the memory foam pillow cannot take it.
Keeping the pillow in the sunshine will lead to loss of memory foam. However, the outer cover of the pillow can be removed and cleaned.
The pillow comes at a reasonable price so that you do not have to worry about your budget. You need to wait for at least 24 hours to let the pillow expand to its full potential and thickness. The chemical odor inside the pillow will also go away gradually.
- Suitable for cervical spine alignment
- Removable and washable pillow cover
- Feels soft and comfortable
- The chemical smell from the pillow may be too strong to sleep
If you do not know what the best pillow for side sleepers is, this brand will not disappoint you. The side sleeper pillow by Puredown consists of 95% white goose feather and 5% of goose down. The pillow is a medium-firm pillow and does not feature any other option.
The down and feather chosen by the company are odorless. Thus, you do not have to worry about the weird smell of the pillow. The pillow also comes up with a money-back guaranty, under which you can return the pillow within 30 days.
And you will get a 100% refund for the amount paid. The user-friendly design of the pillow prevents any chances of feather pricking. Using this pillow will give you a peaceful night of sleep.
- Made up of best quality material
- 100% cotton cover will provide you with maximum comfort
- The down and feathers are responsibly sourced
- No animals are harmed during the production of pillows
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- The pillow makes a weird crunching sound when pressed
- Not enough value for the price paid.
The high loft and the density of this pillow will provide you complete relief from back pain, neck pain, headache, and snoring. This pillow can also work as a backrest for sitting and reading books in bed.
Rest assured, the 100% cotton cover of the pillow is breathable and comfortable to provide you a peaceful sleeping experience. The pillow is also composed of Hypoallergenic and is safe for adults and children alike.
- Breathable material
- The high loft provides support for back and side sleepers
- Extra-firm pillow as the pillow is overstuffed
- Not worth the money as per the review of many users
20. The SnuggL L-Shaped
This pillow features L-Shaped contoured support, which will provide side sleepers a huggable support. This body pillow is engineered to ensure proper alignment to the neck, spine, and head so that you can have less strain on your lower body parts.
The pillow consists of a down blend of hypoallergenic gel fibers, while the pillowcase is made up of breathable and moisture-soaking capacity. This pillow is perfect for humid and warm seasons.
As per the recommendation of the company, the pillow needs to be cleaned every 6-months to get maximum protection against germs and other pathogens. Rest assured, it is quite easy to do it, as you can wash it in normal water with a gentle detergent.
- Provides ultimate support and comfort while you sleep
- The breathing fiber has the moisture-wicking property
- Easy to wash and dry
- L-shape of the pillow offers ultimate relaxation and support while sleeping.
- Costlier as per the quality of the pillow
21. Cardinal & Crest
The pillow provides ultimate relief from neck pain and engineered in such a way that the fillings never get lumped or move back and forth. The pillows are machine washable.
Customer satisfaction is the topmost priority of Cardinal & Crest. Thus, they also have a satisfaction guaranty service under which you will get 100% cashback if you are not satisfied with the product. Nothing gets better than this.
- The pillows are made up with the use of cutting-edge technology
- 100% cotton cover will provide with maximum comfort
- Machine washable
- The fillings are engineered such that they don’t form lumps
- Medium-density loft for the back as well as side sleepers.
- For a few users, the feel of the pillow was not great, and it was just “ok” as per the price paid.
22. Pillowtex Chamber
The pillow has a medium firmness to give you maximum comfort while you are sleeping. The fillings will provide you medium-firm supports, and the pillows are modeled on Hilton hotel-style pillows.
Pillowtex offers a 30 nights sleep guarantee on the pillow. So, if you do not get a better sleep within these 30-days, you are eligible for a money refund. The pillow also has a 3-year warranty against any manufacturing defects.
- Manufactured with only high-quality materials
- Fabric layer within the feathers offer extra comfort
- Modeled on Hilton hotel style pillows
- Sleep better guarantee with the pillow
- The pillow makes a crackling sound, and it even flattens up after a few months.
This orthopedic sleeping pillow is one of the best pillows for side sleepers with neck pain and cervical issues. The design of the pillow is such that the surface is covered with 3D massage particles. The massage particle of the pillow will provide you added support and comfort to your neck and head.
The pillow is composed of memory foam, which has a rebound time of a maximum of 5 seconds. The memory foam can easily absorb the force you put and then distributes the pressure to give comfort to your neck.
The memory foam of this sleeping pillow uses a professional polyester that does not stink like other pillows. It also provides enough breathability to keeps your skin fresh and dry in the summer seasons.
- Ergonomic design to support the neck, back, and head
- Helps in stretching and relaxation of spine nerves
- Provides you with the perfect gift for peaceful sleep
- The pillow doesn’t smell weird
- Equipped with 3D massage particles
- The shape of the pillow makes it difficult for machine washing.
24. Miniflower Knee Pillow
These knee pillows are perfect for those side sleepers who want to shape and beautify their legs. The small-sized pillow is made up of slow rebound material, and it is ergonomically designed. The pillow is very comfortable and will make sure you get complete relaxation to your legs.
The scientific curvature of the pillow fits the curve with your leg. It ensures the temperature of the pillow remains constant so that you do not feel too hot or cold.
The straps of the pillow are designed such that it is not easy to slip. The zipper of the pillowcase allows you to easily remove the pillowcase, wash it, and dry it. The size of the pillow is such that you can carry it anywhere you want. The pillow can be used in any season you wish to.
- Very easy to use
- A perfect object to give proper shapes to your legs
- Made up as per scientific curvature of your legs
- Easily washable pillowcase
- Easy to carry
- The pillowcase material is not good
The central cavity of the pillow will quickly adapt your neck contour, and it will also reduce the pressure of your skull. The slope of the pillow will prevent your head from rolling out so that it stays in a stable position.
This pillow also features ventilated holes. These holes optimize the airflow and also control the temperature as per your requirement. The 60-density memory foam of the pillow also provides the right balance of firmness when you sleep.
This best side sleeper pillow will help you keep your spine in its natural curve and also prevent pressing of your shoulder.
- Ventilated design for breathability
- No toxins or harmful chemicals are used in manufacturing the pillow
- Provides right balance of firmness
- Pillow will keep all kinds of neck, back, and spine pain away
- Improves the respiratory function
- The high cost of the pillow is the only disadvantage
Types Of Side Sleepers
1. Log Roller: The log rollers are one type of side sleepers who sleep with legs extended straight and arms in the proper place. This sleeping position may look stiff, but the position helps in keeping the neck and back positions aligned.
It is one of the best positions for people suffering from neck and back pain. Putting a comfortable and fluffy pillow between your knees will help you ease any discomfort in this position.
2. The yearning dreamer: This position is an extension or part of the log roller position. Under the yearning roller position, your arms are stretched, which helps you to give better alignment to your back and spine.
You can get arm numbness in this position, but using a firm and comfortable pillow can help you tackle this problem.
3. Fetal position: These sleepers curl up like a fetus. Under this position, people wrap their hand around their legs, and they crunch their legs near their chest. Most people sleep in this position when they want to stay warm. Putting up a fluffy side pillow in this position gives you additional warmth and proper sleep.
4. Prayer position: This position involves sleeping on your sides and placing hands together like you are praying. Most people who have back pain try to sleep in this position as it reduces pressure from their back muscles. If your head is hurt while relaxing in this position, it is time to get a new and firmer pillow for yourself.
5. The snuggler: People sleeping in this position grab a pillow and keep them close to their stomachs. The snugglers need fluffy and comfortable pillows with cotton covers to keep them warm and comfortable.
Factors To Look For When Buying The Best Pillow For Side Sleeper
The pillow filling may come in different forms.
- A natural goose down feather
These fillings come at a higher price, but they offer excellent comfort, and they also last longer.
- Polyester Fiber
]The polyester fillings do not cost much, but the disadvantage with these fillings is that they can retain heat. Generally, polyester fillings can be easily machine washed, and they are mostly hypoallergenic.
The microfiber fillings allow you to breathe appropriately, and these pillows with microfiber fillings can be easily machine washed.
To have a comfortable night of sleep, you should consider the fluffiness factor of the pillow. If the pillow is fluffy, it has more chances of lasting longer. For all those people who are side sleepers, this is one of the most important considerations.
Fluffiness allows the air to move inside out of the fiber. Thus, you get comfortable support on the pillow. The best way to test the fluffiness of the pillow is to fold the pillow, and if you see that it fluffs back to the original shape, buy it. Otherwise, it’s a red flag not to purchase the pillow.
Threadcount means the number of horizontal and vertical threads in a single square inch of pillow fabric. Make sure you look for pillows that have more thread counts.
Higher thread count will mean that you will have a durable and softer pillow. So, hunt down pillows with a thread count in the range 500-800 to have a comfortable and peaceful night of sleep.
Look at your budget before you purchase a pillow. Never push your financial boundaries for a product that doesn’t deserve the money you pay. Stick to your budget and try to buy a pillow that is best within your budget.
One does not buy pillows just for comfort. Sometimes people purchase certain kinds of pillows as they have neck pain, shoulder pain, or other issues in sleeping.
Thus, before you buy the best side pillow, it is essential to know your requirements. Analyze your needs and have complete research before you go out to pick the best pillow.
Pillows can be extremely firm, medium-firm, soft, or medium-soft. The hardness of a pillow can significantly impact the level of peaceful sleep you get. The soft pillows are best for people with back pains, and the medium-soft pillows are best if you are a side sleeper.
Extremely firm pillows are best for side sleepers with constant neck pain. So, choose the firmness of the side pillow, depending upon your need. If you do not have any pain or problem, it’s better to use a medium-firm pillow.
Most pillows feature three sizes, king, queen, and standard size. You should choose the size of your pillow, depending upon the size of your bed. Try to match the side of your pillow to the size of your bed.
Cover of the pillow will not affect your sleeping position, but it will impact your comfort. Good quality covering ensures that you have better maintenance as well as the prolonged life span of the pillow. Choose a cover that is most comfortable as well as easily washable.
People who tend to sleep in various positions need different types of pillows. For example, the side sleepers need equal support for their neck and spine.
So, the ideal pillow for the side sleepers is a thicker pillow with proper breathability. In addition to this, the side sleepers should consider pillows that are memory foam versions, as it can provide better support to their head as well.
Before you buy the best side sleeper pillow, one must know about the washable options. Some pillows need to be washed in warm water, while some cannot be machine washed. Thus, try to know about the maintenance requirement of the pillow you are purchasing.
It is another critical factor to consider when buying a pillow. Few pillows feature stylish designs, which hit the price high. You may have to spend the right amount of money.
However, you have a fixed budget, then look for the pillows within the budget, and that fits your sleeping needs. The price depends on the type of material used, such as quality, variety of pillow, and so on. The cost of polyester pillows is budget-friendly, whereas the real down pillows are expensive.
Tips For Side Sleepers
Research says almost 74% of the world population are side sleepers. It is excellent news because side sleeping is a good habit as it prevents you from different health ailments. We are providing the best tips for side sleepers that will give them a comfortable and peaceful sleep throughout the night:
1. Firm pillow: A firm pillow will help you maintain a good spinal position. As per experts, while you are sleeping, your spine and back should be in a straight line. A firm pillow will help you avoid all kinds of pain and injury.
People often pay less attention to the firmness of the pillow, but a firm or soft pillow can be too dangerous for your posture as well as overall health. If the pillow you have chosen is very soft, then your head will lie much lower than your body. You may end up having a sore neck when you wake up in the morning.
2. Thick pillow: Most side sleepers require thick pillows. Before you analyze the thickness of the pillow, keep the same formula in mind that your neck and back are aligned. When people sleep on their side, they get more space between their head and mattress.
Thus, a thick pillow will help you to fill up this gap with the fluffiness. A thicker pillow will keep everything in the position it needs to be.
3. Straddle a pillow: Many side sleepers do not know this, but keeping a pillow in between your legs can help you in keeping your back and spine in a straight line. Many pillows are available in the market that can be held between legs.
These pillows are uniquely designed to give maximum comfort to side sleepers. The side pillows also relieve some of the pressure from your hips and lower back when you are sleeping.
4. Stretch: Side sleepers need to stretch their body once they wake up. If you can stretch while lying on your bed, this will help you in getting complete relaxation while you start your day. The side sleepers need to stretch their arms and upper body every day after they wake to keep their posture aligned throughout the day.
5. Do not sleep on your arm: Many pillows are available in the market that has holes in the middle to help you put your arm inside it.
Sleeping on the arm will block your blood circulation, and over prolonged periods, it may even become sore. Thus, it is essential to buy pillows that have holes where you can keep your arm comfortably.
6. Sleep on the left side: For all those side sleepers, sleeping on your left side can work like a miracle in improving your health.
Sleeping on your left side can reduce the pressure on your digestive system and digestive tracts. Sleeping on the left side will also improve the blood circulation in your entire body.
Best Practices For Side Sleepers
No matter if you are habituated at side sleeping, or you are new to this practice, it is essential to know the best practices of side sleeping. So, if you want to sleep peacefully without tossing and turning, without pain and discomfort, try to include all these best practices:
All side sleepers need to lay on medium-firm mattresses. You also need to place a firm pillow beneath your head.
For maximum benefit, lie on your left side. Make sure to let your ears be in alignment with your shoulder. In addition to this, keep your chin neutral and do not tuck your chin into your chest. Keeping all parts of your body in the proper position is a must to get the best sleep.
Try to keep your arm beneath your face or neck so that your arms do not get numb. The numbness of your arm will awaken you up.
For side sleepers, it is also essential to place a firm pillow between their knees, which can be especially beneficial for people who suffer from back pain. Putting a pillow between your knees can help you in preventing the collapse of your hip and knee joints.
Try to lift your knees slightly towards your chest to reduce any pressure on your back.
FAQs on Pillows For Side Sleepers
1. How To Choose The Right Pillow For Side Sleepers?
Each person sleeps differently. This aspect creates the need for different types of pillows. People who sleep on their side need firmer pillows that have thick sides.
The pillow should be as thick as the distance between your ear and the outer part of your shoulder. When it comes to filling material, memory foams are perfect filling material for side sleepers. Try to choose pillows that are a bit higher.
2. How High Should A Pillow Be For Side Sleepers?
The height of the pillow varies as per the age of the person. For example, adults need a pillow of height between 5 inches and 7 inches. Pillow with this height will support your neck as well as your back. The pillow should have a proper height to ensure that your neck and back are in proper alignment.
3. How Long Does It Take To Get Used To A New Pillow For Side Sleepers?
It could take at least five or more days to get used to a new pillow for a side sleeper. You may not notice immediate relief, but within five to seven days, you will see changes in your sleeping position and posture changes.
4. Which Is The Best Side To Sleep On For A Side Sleeper?
While sleeping on your sides has multiple benefits, people often do not know which side is most beneficial for sleeping. Side sleepers should try to sleep on their left side. Most of our vital organs are placed on the left side, sleeping on the left side will ensure proper blood circulation to our vital organs.
5. Will Sleeping On The Right Side Adversely Impact My Health?
Side sleeping is one of the best positions to sleep. But you get the maximum benefit from side sleeping if you are lying on your left side.
Sleeping on the right side can work against gravity, and it can also damage your digestion process. Sleeping on the right side may lead to heartburn, indigestion, and other gastrointestinal problems.
6. Why Is The Side Sleeping Beneficial For Health?
There are multiple benefits to side sleeping. One of the most important advantages is that you can get rid of your snoring problem by sleeping on your sides.
In addition to eliminating snoring, side sleeping can also help in the reduction of sleep apnea. Thus, people who face sleep apnea and snoring should buy a comfortable pillow for side sleeping.
7. Are There Any Disadvantages Of Sleeping On Your Sides?
The only disadvantage of side sleeping is known by the name “paresthesia.” Under this condition, your arm will get numb when you sleep continuously on it for hours. The lack of blood flow into the arm will make it numb.
Whenever your arm gets numb, you automatically wake up. As per a scientific fact, whenever the blood circulation to your limb stops, you cannot sleep peacefully. Thus, the only problem with side sleeping is that your arm becomes numb.
But today, many pillows are available for side sleepers that can help them avoid the issue of “ paresthesia.”
8. Is It Healthy For A Side Sleeper To Sleep Without A Pillow?
It entirely depends upon your sleeping position. Experts believe that if you sleep in a neutral position, you may not need a pillow. Neutral position means a position wherein your neck and spine are correctly aligned.
But most of us toss and turn in our sleep; we need support that can give us that perfect alignment. Thus, even side sleepers need a pillow that can provide the ideal alignment.
If you are sleeping on your sides, you need something to fill the space between your head and the inner part of your shoulder. Therefore, the side sleeper needs to use a comfortable pillow.
9. Are Memory Foam Pillows Good For Side Sleepers?
Memory foam pillows are one of the best choices for side sleepers; these sleepers need better support and loft. The memory foam pillows enable you to handle your neck and head in the proper position.
Thus, no additional pressure gets on your neck. For all those side sleepers, who suffer from neck pain, memory foam pillows are the best option.
10. How To Sleep On Your Sides, Without Falling Asleep?
Most side sleepers face the problem of their arms falling asleep as soon as they get proper sleep. This problem of arm sleeping can lead you to a poor sleeping condition.
If you want to get a decent sleep, without letting your arm sleep, try to place a pillow between your knees, sleep on your left side to have proper blood circulation, and choose a supportive pillow so that you can get enough support and the pressure gets reduced.
Best Pillows For Side Sleepers – Conclusion
Always remember, if you start getting different types of ailments and pains, you may end up spending millions of dollars on medical bills, why not pay a few bucks in buying a new pillow for side sleepers?
If you are one of that 74% of side sleepers, you must be well aware of the continuous tossing and turfing on your bed.
Unlike other positions of sleeping, the side sleepers need extra support between their neck and shoulder as well as below knees to get a comfortable night of sleep. A good quality pillow will make your neck feel like it is floating like a cloud.
Thus, the side sleepers should try to look for pillows that can mold as per their body type. It does not matter if you are a side sleeper or not; getting a good night’s sleep is a must for everyone.
Different varieties of pillows are available in the market to provide maximum comfort to side sleepers. We have compiled a list of products with thorough analysis and research.
We hope this list of 25 pillows for side sleepers will help you in making a proper choice. Make sure you go through every aspect and buy a cozy pillow to sleep like a baby in your bed.